Mysuru is noted for its palaces, including the Mysuru Palace, and for the festivities that take place during the Dasara festival when the city receives a large number of tourists. It lends its name to the Mysuru style of painting, the sweet dish Mysuru Pak, the Mysuru Peta (a traditional silk turban) and the garment known as the Mysuru silk saree. Tourism is the major industry, while information technology has emerged as a major employer alongside the traditional industries. Mysuru Airport also known as Mandakalli Airport is an airport serving the city of Mysuru. Mysuru depends on rail and bus transport for inter-city connections.
Before the Krishna Raja Sagara dam project was conceived by Sir M.Visvesvaraya in 1909, the temple complex was located in the village of Kannambadi. The KRS Dam project meant that Kannambadi and other surrounding settlements would be submerged. Then the king of Mysuru, Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV ordered the construction of a new village for the residents of Kannambadi and aptly named it Hosa Kannambadi (New Kannambadi). However, the Venugopala Swamy temple complex and 2 other temples namely Kenneshwara (Ishwara) temple and Kalamma (a local deity) temple had to be abandoned. By 1930, the first phase of the dam was completed and all three temples were submerged. The main idol of Venugopalaswamy, Lord Krishna playing a flute as a cow-herd, was shifted to a new temple in the rehabilitated village before the submersion.
Melukote is the location of the Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple, with a collection of crowns and jewels which are brought to the temple for the annual celebration. On the top of the hill is the temple of Yoganarasimha. Many more shrines and ponds are located in the town. Melukote is home to the Academy of Sanskrit Research, which has collected thousands of manuscripts.
Although situated a mere 19 km from Mysuru city, Srirangapatna lies in the neighbouring district of Mandya. The entire town is enclosed by the river Kaveri to form a river island. While the main river flows on the eastern side of the island, the Paschima Vaahini segment of the same river flows to its west. The town is easily accessible by train from Bengaluru and Mysuru and is also well-connected by road, lying as it does just off the Bengaluru-Mysuru highway. The highway passes through this town and special care was taken to minimize any impact on the monuments here.
The dam was built across river Kaveri, the life giving river for the Mysuru and Mandya districts, in 1924. Apart from being the main source of water for irrigation in the most fertile Mysuru and Mandya, the reservoir is the main source of drinking water for all of Mysuru city and almost the whole of Bengaluru city, the capital of the state of Karnataka. The water released from this dam is further used as an important source of water in the state of Tamil Nadu, which has its own Mettur dam in the Salem district. Sir. Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya served as the chief engineer during the construction of this dam. The dam is named after the then ruler of the Mysuru Kingdom, Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV.